Janelle (Ja) currently focuses on taxation, litigation, corporate law, and regulatory compliance.
Ja obtained her Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of the Philippines College of Law in 2018, where she ranked 11th and was one of the recipients of the Dean’s Medal for Academic Excellence. She was admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2019, and joined C&G Law in the same year.
Ja is also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). She obtained her degree in Accountancy from De La Salle University-Manila, graduating with honors in 2011. She then took and passed the CPA Board Exams in 2011. Ja worked for two (2) years as a Tax Associate at Sycip, Gorres, Velayo & Co. (SGV & Co.) before working as Finance Assistant Manager at a private company. Her corporate practice involved internal tax audits, tax reporting, and Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) regulation compliance. Ja also co-authored the taxation portion of Fundamentals of Accounting 2, a textbook for Accounting, with Flocer Lao Ong as part of the Philippine Department of Education’s Accountancy, Business and Management strand under the K to 12 (K-12) program.
While in SGV, she also took up Chinese Conversational Mandarin classes at the Confucius Institute of the Ateneo de Manila University Professional Schools. She took Level 5 proficiency lessons and passed the proficiency exams. She is qualified to take the Level 6 proficiency lessons, the highest proficiency level for the program.
- University of the Philippines College of Law, Juris Doctor (Class of 2018, Dean’s Medal, Rank 11); De La Salle University-Manila, Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (Class of 2011, Honorable Mention).
- Admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2019.
- Certified Public Accountant
Ja has assisted in a number of taxation law, litigation, and corporate law matters. Her experience includes:
- Assisting in a broad range of tax-related matters, including drafting legal opinions on tax queries, BIR tax assessments, and drafting pleadings for tax litigation;
- Drafting legal opinions on corporate and commercial law matters including foreign ownership restrictions, the Anti-Dummy Law, the Foreign Investments Act, and the Philippine Competition Act;
- Assisting in post-incorporation matters of newly incorporated clients;
- Assisting in the settlement of estates; and
- Advising on administrative requirements for importation, and legal and regulatory requirements for foreign corporations interested in doing business in the Philippines.
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines (2019–present)
- “Open-Minded Ka Ba?”: Multi-Level Marketing as a Business Model – the Legal, the Illegal, and the Penumbral; The Need for Stronger Special Laws in the Philippines, Supervised Legal Research, University of the Philippines College of Law.