Paolo is a non-resident Of Counsel of C&G Law. He has been based in New York City since 2006.
Paolo’s practice focuses on sophisticated cross-border project development, project finance and other secured financing transactions (including debtor-in-possession financing), public private partnerships, M&A, joint venture, and other corporate transactions.
Paolo has represented parties engaged in the acquisition or sale, development and financing of assets in the energy and infrastructure sectors in Southeast Asia, Indian Sub-Continent, North America, Latin America, and Sub-Saharan Africa in transactions involving wind farms, solar plants, power plants, electrical transmission lines and substations, natural gas pipelines, toll roads, aircraft, airports, seaports and other types of infrastructure. He has also represented US-based and Southeast Asia-based investors in the acquisition and sale of private equity and other alternative investments internationally.
Prior to joining C&G Law, Paolo was an Of Counsel at the New York office of DLA Piper LLP (US) since 2012 and headed its US-based Philippine Projects and Corporate Practice, and was seconded to its Hong Kong office from 2017 to 2018. He was an Associate at the New York office of Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP from 2007 to 2012 and was also seconded to its Johannesburg office in 2011. He began his legal career at Quisumbing Torres (Baker & McKenzie) in 2002. He was also an adjunct professorial lecturer at the Ateneo de Manila Law School from 2002 to 2005.
Paolo is admitted in New York and in the Philippines.
- University of Michigan Law School, Masters of Laws (Class of 2006, DeWitt Fellow); Ateneo de Manila Law School, Juris Doctor (Class of 2001, recipient of the St. Thomas More Most Distinguished Graduate Award); Ateneo de Manila University, Bachelor of Arts, Major in Management Economics (Class of 1997).
- Admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2002; admitted to the New York Bar in 2008.
Paolo has represented investors in corporate and project financing transactions that involve regulated industries such as electricity generation and transmission (both conventional and renewable energy), water desalination and distribution, surface and sub-surface rail transportation, toll road operation, airport operation, and seaport operation.
Paolo has significant experience in drafting and negotiating share purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, subscription agreements, equity contribution agreements, project financing and project development agreements, including power purchase agreements, concession agreements, fuel supply agreements, equipment supply agreements, EPC contracts, inter-connection agreements, gas transportation agreements, real estate contracts (such as lease agreements), credit agreements, indentures, inter-creditor agreements, collateral sharing agreements, various security documents, applicable project permits, and other ancillary project financing and project development agreements. He has represented parties in various stages of development in the energy and infrastructure sector internationally since 2002.
His notable representative transactions include the following:
Project Finance, P3, and Project Development:
- Advising a Philippine-French joint venture in the proposed development of a US$12 billion public-private partnership with the Republic of the Philippines in an international airport project in Manila, Philippines.
- Advised a US sponsor in the construction financing and operations and maintenance of two solar photovoltaic electricity generating facilities in South Africa.
- Advised a US sponsor in the construction financing and operations and maintenance of a wind farm in South Africa.
- Advised US financing institutions in the construction financing of a solar photovoltaic electricity generating plant in Nevada.
- Advised a US contractor in the negotiations for the operation and maintenance of battery energy storage facilities in Arizona.
- Advised FMO, the Dutch development financing institution, BIO, the Belgian development financing institution, and PROPARCO, the French development financing institution, in the project financing, development and construction of a landfill gas-fired electricity generation facility in Bogota, Colombia.
- Advised OPIC, a US development financing institution, in the construction financing and project development of the Sidrap wind farm in Indonesia, the largest renewable energy project in Southeast Asia.
- Advised a syndicate of US, Japanese, and European banking institutions in the construction financing and operation of a natural gas-fired electricity generation facility in New York.
- Advised a US company in the proposed project development, financing and construction of an ocean waste-to-energy electricity generation facility in Jeju Island, South Korea.
- Advised a US / Australian joint venture in the construction financing and operations and maintenance of an experimental wind and solar-powered recycling facility by New York harbor in Queens, New York.
- Advised the lenders in the public-private partnership between the consortium that developed and constructed the US Bank Stadium (Minnesota Vikings), the National Football League, and the State of Minnesota.
- Advised the lenders in the public-private partnership between the consortium that developed and constructed the Golden 1 Center (Sacramento Kings), the National Basketball Association, and the City of Sacramento.
- Advised US underwriters in the construction financing of R1 Cavite Toll Road in Cavite, Philippines.
- Advised a US energy company in the financing of a biodiesel-powered electricity generation facility in Texas.
- Advised FMO, the Dutch development financing institution, and Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank in the construction financing of a grains terminal and deep-sea port in Quequen, Argentina.
M&A / Corporate:
- Advised a US private equity sponsor in the proposed acquisition of a natural gas electricity generation facility in Mozambique.
- Advised a German company in its proposed acquisition of battery energy storage facilities in Illinois.
- Advised an Italian company in the proposed acquisition of three solar photovoltaic electricity generation facilities in Massachusetts.
- Advised a Spanish company in acquiring a 50% interest in a limited liability company pursuing offshore wind energy project development in Massachusetts.
- Advised a US private equity sponsor in its proposed acquisition of a 150 MW wind farm undergoing development in Senegal.
- Advised a US private equity sponsor in the sale of its majority interest in two solar photovoltaic electricity generation facilities and a wind farm in South Africa.
- Advised a US private equity sponsor in the sale of its equity interest in a rare-earth (tantalum powder) manufacturing and processing facility in the United States.
- Advised a British energy company in the acquisition of electricity retail aggregators in the United States.
- Advised a British energy company in the acquisition of electricity and natural gas retailers and aggregators in the United States and Canada.
- Advised a US energy company in the sale of its equity interest in a coal-powered electricity generation facility in the Philippines.
- Advised a US energy company in the sale of its majority equity interest in two diesel-fueled electricity generation facilities in India.
- Advised a US energy company in the sale of its majority equity interest in a natural gas / heavy fuel oil-powered barge-mounted electricity generation facility in Bangladesh.
- Advised a Philippine energy company in the proposed acquisition of a 50% interest in an Australian company developing renewable energy projects in Australia.
- Advised a US private equity sponsor in the acquisition of the largest parking garage system in New York, Massachusetts and New Jersey.
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Member, State Bar Association of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Co-authored, “Project Financing in Sub-Saharan Africa” in DLA Piper’s November 2016 Real Estate Africa Magazine.
- Co-authored, “Client Protection Principles: Model Law and Commentary for Financial Consumer Protection,” Microfinance CEO Working Group, April 9, 2015.