Deb handles general corporate and commercial transactions and advices on data privacy and telecommunications laws and regulations. She has assisted in various due diligence exercises to determine compliance of entities with relevant national laws and regulations; advices foreign and local investors on Philippine law requirements and foreign equity restrictions, as well as drafting and reviewing contracts including shareholder’s agreement; joint venture agreements; EPC contracts; and other commercial documents. Deb has also conducted compliance audits, trainings and seminars, drafting of policies, forms and contracts and provides legal advice on Philippine data privacy requirements as well as legal advice on telecommunications and e-commerce laws and regulations.
Deb likewise assist in litigation work including appearing before and submitting pleadings and documents with local tax authorities and the Bureau of Customs in relation to importations; advice clients on importation requirements; as well as tariff and customs regulations.
Deborah obtained her degree in Legal Management from the Ateneo de Manila University, graduating top 17 of the Legal Management Department in 2008. She graduated from the Ateneo de Manila University Law School in 2012, where she ranked seventh in her class, and obtained a silver medal for academic excellence. She joined C&G Law in January 2, 2013 and became a Senior Associate effective January 1, 2017.
- Juris Doctor (Hons), Ateneo de Manila University Law School
- Admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2013
Deborah has experience in advising on technology, medial and telecommunications laws and regulations in the Philippines including the following:
- Assisting clients in the financial, electronics, mining, engineering, energy, consumer products and logistic industries and businesses in compliance with data privacy and protection laws and regulations of the Philippines including conducting data privacy training/seminars, audit of current policies and practices, and post-audit correction and implementation of policies and practices.
- Providing legal advice to clients in business process outsourcing; online services; financial; health; and insurance industries in relation to data privacy and protection laws of the Philippines for specific transactions.
- Providing regulatory and compliance advice as well as licensing requirements on relevant laws and practices for mobile applications; online and live streaming gaming applications and platforms; global internet service providers and internet reselling; video on demand services; and an online verification service provider, among others.
- Providing regulatory and legal advice on e-commerce laws and regulations to clients selling consumer products and health products in the Philippines.
Deborah also has experience in litigation and assisting clients with importation and customs related matters which include, filing claims for refund, application for the return of cash bonds posted as a safeguard measure before the proper customs offices; providing advice on requirements for accreditation as an importer; warrant of seizure and detention of imported products; and obtaining tariff classification rulings for importations, among others.
Deborah has also participated in a number of corporate and commercial transactions. Her representative projects include:
- Providing advice and assistance on incorporation and post-incorporation requirements.
- Providing advice and drafting EPC contracts, outsourcing agreements, data sharing agreements and similar contracts.
- Due diligence work on companies to determine compliance with laws and identify risks and considerations for a potential sale of the company.
- Assisting bidders in Public-Private Partnership projects for the Mactan-Cebu International Airport project of the Department of Transportation and Communications; Integrated Transport System – South Terminal Project of the Department of Transportation and Communications; and Cavite-Laguna Expressway and Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike Project of the Department of Public Works and Highways.
- Advising and assisting foreign and local investors in Philippine law and regulatory requirements for their proposed investments.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines (2012 – present)
- Contributor, DataGuidance: Global Privacy Compliance (https://www.dataguidance.com/)