Admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2014, Rafael (Cuayo) joined C&G Law in 2016 and is currently involved in the firm’s corporate, litigation, and technology, media, and telecommunications practice. Cuayo has practiced litigation for over two years and has represented a diverse set of clients which include multi-national corporations, business partnerships, prominent politicians, and leading individuals from various fields.
A graduate from the University of the Philippines College of Law, Cuayo was part of the Philippine delegation who placed third overall in the 2012 Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition. He likewise served as team captain of the only Philippine team to qualify for the 2013 Jean-Pictet International Humanitarian Law Competition. During his final year in law school, he stepped back from moot court and instead served as Batch’s Representative in the University of the Philippines (“UP”) Law School Government.
Before law school, Cuayo worked as a Customer Development Management Trainee for Johnson & Johnson, leading the sales team of over-the-counter medical products in the areas of Batangas, Quezon, and Bicol.
Cuayo finished with a degree in Business Administration from the Cesar S. Virata School of Business in the University of the Philippines. During his undergraduate years, he served as President of the UP Junior Marketing Association and represented his college in various marketing competitions and seminars.
- University of the Philippines College of Law, Juris Doctor (Class of 2013); University of the Philippines, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Class of 2008)
- Admitted to the Philippine Bar in 2014
Cuayo’s work includes:
- Has appeared and argued before various Philippine courts and quasi-judicial bodies. Cuayo has managed over eighty (80) different cases and matters which have required trial work, writing pleadings and opinions, conducting settlement negotiations, and liasing with multiple courts and government agencies.
- Has acted as Philippine counsel for a Philippine petroleum company in the defense of a multi-million dollar International Chamber of Commerce arbitration against their American counterparty. The arbitration was seated in the Philippines.
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines (2014-present)
- Batch Representative, Xavier School Batch 2004 (2004-present)