Competition & Anti-trust and Trade
Even prior to the passage of the Philippines’ first comprehensive competition law (Republic Act No. 10667) in 2015, C&G Law had been actively advising local and foreign clients on competition law concerns and related regulatory matters. The firm provides practical, commercially-minded, and timely advice to clients, and conducts internal audits, to help ensure their compliance with Philippine competition laws. The firm also advises and assists clients in respect of filings before the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC), with the aim of obtaining approval for covered transactions (or to confirm non-coverage of the filing requirement). C&G Law is also able to assist in PCC investigations. Finally, C&G Law provides competition law trainings to clients’ employees to raise further awareness of competition law.
- Since 2011, C&G Law has been advising a Philippine affiliate of a global leader in building materials in competition law matters. C&G Law has conducted training sessions for its employees. In 2012, 2015, and 2016, the firm conducted an audit/review of the company’s compliance with Philippine competition law and international best practices as regards competition law.
- Advised leading Swedish conglomerate Altor and its Scandinavian counsel Mannheimer Swartling on a merger filing with the PCC. Clearance for the transaction was obtained.
- Assisted a leading online fashion retailer on its successful merger filing with the PCC relating to a joint venture.
- Confirmed with the PCC the non-coverage, from the PCC’s mandatory filing requirements, of a merger of related entities.
- Assists a client in an ongoing PCC investigation.
- Advised a leading building materials multinational company on Philippine competition law relating to its global merger with another building materials company.
- Assisted Jollibee Foods Corporation (the operator of the Philippines’ leading restaurant chain) and Cargill Philippines in preparing their disclosure/notice to the PCC, on their joint venture relating to poultry processing and related facilities.
- Advised the subsidiaries of a top international airline and major airline manufacturer in respect of Republic Act No. 10667 relating to their joint venture.
- Representing several energy companies in Supreme Court proceedings where issues include alleged anti-competitive behavior relating to pricing in the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market. The firm also represented the companies in proceedings before the Department of Justice relating to such alleged anti-competitive conduct.