General Corporate and Commercial
C&G Law’s practice in corporate and commercial transactions is solid and extensive. The firm advises on all issues and legal developments affecting our clients’ businesses and operations — from the incorporation until the closure or dissolution of a company — assisting on matters of governance and compliance, conducting legal audits, and structuring, documenting and implementing a broad range of transactions. Our corporate and commercial work has involved various types of industries and businesses.
The firm likewise advises on all aspects of business and commercial transactions, including on the choice of an appropriate vehicle for investments (whether a corporation, partnership, joint venture or, for foreign corporations, branch or representative offices or regional headquarters); limitations on foreign equity or investment participation in certain ventures; the availability of fiscal or other incentives for particular activities; and the licensing and other regulatory requirements applicable to the carrying out of the business. It assists in the formation and organization of the enterprise (and deals with the Securities and Exchange Commission for this purpose), and in obtaining all approvals and other permits that it requires to commence operations. The firm assists foreign clients in the registration of their investments with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
The firm also sees to its clients’ continuing compliance with governance and other applicable regulatory, filing, and other submission requirements with relevant government offices. As well, it advises and assists its clients in matters and transactions affecting their regular operational requirements, including with respect to employment, taxation, property, the maintenance of their premises, their procurement of goods and services, and, generally, the prosecution of their business objectives.
- Since 2011, C&G Law has advised a Philippine affiliate of a global leader in building materials since 2011, in competition law, anti-bribery and corruption, and various corporate matters. The firm has conducted training sessions for its employees on those matters. In 2012, 2015, and 2016, the firm conducted an audit/review of the company’s compliance with Philippine competition law and international best practices as regards to competition law.
- Advising a Philippine affiliate of a global leader in building materials with its corporate restructuring and the documentation of its shareholder agreements relating to a mining company.
- Advising on issues arising from the Philippines’ Data Privacy Act and its implementing rules and regulations, and conducts internal audits to ascertain clients’ compliance with the law.
- Set up the Philippine branch office of a Norwegian international subsea operating company, and advises the company in its Philippine investments relating to its agreement with a leading oil and gas company. The firm is assisting the company with its regulatory requirements to operate its foreign vessel in Philippine waters.
- Advising a leading animal nutrition and ingredients/grains company on various regulatory and commercial aspects of its operations, including reviews of contracts and dealings with government entities.
- Advising a Chinese-owned mining investor on its potential equity investments in a mining project in the Philippines, and has assisted in reviewing and documenting its security/collateral arrangements with Philippine borrowers.
- C&G Law’s lawyers act as directors, corporate secretaries, and resident agents for various clients.
- Assisted in the review and documentation of various contracts, including distribution, franchise, and sale and purchase agreements.
- Acting for a Philippine investor in its acquisition of shares/further investment, and joint venture with a Singapore renewable energy company, in two solar energy companies based in Luzon.
- Philippine counsel to Pivot International in its relocation of its subsidiary in the Philippines to an economic zone and acquisition by the latter of certain equipment.